Third Annual Handwritten Challenge
It’s back by popular demand. Technically this year is a 32 day challenge because we started with our first prompt on New Year's Eve on Day 00/31! Dead Reckoning Collective has been running this handwritten challenge for 3 years now and the community has grown each time — if this is your first time, here is the rundown:
- ANYONE can participate.
- All entries must be handwritten
- All journal prompts must be complete no later than 02/01/2024
- To be entered in the draw at the end you must post a collage or a video of ALL prompts and tag @deadreckoningcollective by 02/01/2024 deadline.
The first prompt went live in our Instagram story yesterday so go check it out there where they will be posted daily for you guys to tackle each day. For those who don't partake in social media we will also update this blog post each day with the prompt.
[00/31 BONUS] Why are you participating in the handwritten challenge?
- Write about an act of kindness that someone did for you that took you by surprise.
- Write five guilty pleasures you don’t feel guilty about.
- Picture someone who you’ve experienced a conflict with in the past and try to drop into their perspective. What were they feeling at the time of your conflict? If it’s available to you, how can you express sympathy for their experience?
- What do you know to be true today that you didn’t know a year ago?
- What top three qualities do you value most in life? In what ways are you acting outside of those values? In what ways are you acting in alignment with them?
- What are 10 questions you wish you had the answers to right now?
- How do you want to contribute your talents and passions to the world? Who could be touched by you and how would it affect them?
- Write about someone you miss. What do you miss about them? How do they make you feel?
- “ Nobody knows that I . . . ”
- What is the most disappointed you’ve ever been?
- The most terrifying moment of my life was . . .
- If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be?
- If you could change one thing about your present life, what would it be?
- Is there anything you did this week that you wish you’d done differently?
- Write about the first birthday celebration you can remember.
- Write about your first crush.
- Who was your hero growing up?
- What was the first sport you ever played?
- Describe the most austere environment you have ever been in.
- Write about your morning routine. Coffee, breakfast, stretching, getting dressed, getting other people ready, commuting, etc.
- How did you end up living in the area where you currently reside?
- Open to page 39 of your favorite book and start your entry with the first complete sentence on that page.
- Describe your first physical altercation, whether it was a shoving match or an honest fistfight.
- Who is your best friend? What is a quality you admire most about them?
- Write out a GOTWA for the coming day. For those who have forgotten or who lack military experience:
G - Where I’m going
O - Others I’m taking with me
T - Time of return
W - What to do if I don’t return
A - Actions upon contact
- How is your life different today than it was 10 years ago?
- Why do you write?
- What or who is the biggest influence on your creativity?
- What 4 things are you most grateful for today?
- Put pen/pencil to paper and write your thoughts, unbroken. Once you pause, the prompt is done.
- Go back to your favorite prompt and take another stab at it with fresh eyes.